Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Sin of Presumption vs. Blessed Assurance

"You believe that God is one; you do well. The demons also believe- and they shudder." 
                                                             -James 2:9

Yesterday, I preached on the importance of having a biblical understanding of conversion. One thing that deeply concerns me as a pastor is people who think they are converted when really they are not. I believe that there are many who are convinced they are saved, but are far from God. Here are a couple of observations from the above text.

1. There is a type of believe in God and/or Jesus that does not save you.

This is a biblical principle that Jesus clearly taught in Matthew 7:21-23 which says:

"Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord!" will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of My Father in heaven. On that day many will say to Me, "Lord Lord, didn't we prophesy in Your name, drive out demons in Your name, and do many miracles in your name?" Then I will announce to them, "I never knew you! Depart from me, you lawbreakers!"

In my time as a pastor I have seen men who were presumptuous about God's grace. Men who were drunk off their own pride, and from that proudly proclaim in a salvation that their lives did not reflect. Men who would loudly and proudly proclaim of this salvation to others, and thought it a sin to ever doubt it. These same men also did extensive damage to the church they were in, untold damage over the years. Men like those mentioned in Matthew 7:21-23, may perhaps be Satan's most effective tool in destroying local churches and disrupting Kingdom work. Having a saving faith in Jesus is more than just mental acceptance or moral resolve.

2. There is a type of believe in God and/or Jesus that does save you.

Praise be to God that we can have assurance. Assurance is different from presumption in that it is built on reliance on Jesus Christ. I would argue from passages like 1 John 5:13, where the apostle wants to remind us that we can have assurance. A life that is living in assurance of our salvation will be marked by humility, teachability, and endurance. I pray for all those in my pastoral care who struggle to have the assurance described by the apostle John. Do not be quick to agree with the enemy when he comes to remind you of your sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment